Age 8-years old to Adult:
- Duration: 45mins or 1 hour / weekly group or individual session;
- Examination (Optional): ABRSM
- Focus activities include:
- Rhythm Training
- Percussion playing
- Sight Reading
Looking for the best cello lessons in Singapore?
Let us start by telling you what a cello is. A ‘cello’ is really a nickname. It’s the abbreviation of the bow-stringed instrument which, in Italian, means ‘small giant string.’ This eccentric name denotes its difficult history of size modification. The plural of a cello (pronounced ‘CHEL-oh’) may either be celli or cellos.
We still do not quite know the exact origins of the cello (the name used for the earliest kinds of the cello). What we are sure of, however, is that it initially appeared in its gift size, name and standardization south of the Alps.
Top 5 facts about the cello:
- The word cello is an Italian word which originally meant “little giant viola”
- The Cello dates from the 1500s
It is the second largest instrument within the string family. Its origin started in the 1500s and up till the top of the seventeenth century, the cello was the lowest-sounding instrument of the string family. However, this cluster of instruments ran out of fashion and were replaced by a gaggle of abundantly larger sounding instruments. During this shift, the cello became the second lowest instrument.
- Cello strings were originally made up of sheep and goat gut
The strings of the cello were originally created with sheep and goat gut. Nowadays, this is often not the case and modern cello strings are made up of bronze material.
- The Cello is tuned in fifths
The cello is tuned in fifths. The one strings are, ranging from rock bottom one, C G D A. It is tuned at an equivalent interval because the viola is tuned an octave higher.
- The oldest Cello alive dates from the mid-1500s
The King, created by Andrea Amati, is one among the oldest cellos. It was engineered between 1538 and 1560. It’s presently within the National Music depository in Mount Rushmore State.
Cello lessons in Singapore are quickly improving in quality with the influence of standard cellists as well as Yo-Yo Ma and the Yankee musical organization The Piano Guys. The latter, especially, created a positive impact within the lives of individuals everywhere around the globe through hip music videos that include the violin, cello and piano. Additionally, the violin and cello have the most resonant tone quality within the strings section and it is been delineated because the instruments closely correspond to the human voice. These factors contributed to the recognition of both the violin and cello and plenty of students have started strings lessons in Singapore. We have students from age 7 to teenagers and adults
Music LifeStyle Academy has a wealth of teaching expertise and experience to inspire interest in students. We have encouraged students from all walks of life to understand and learn to play the cello. This is proven by the various positive testimonials from our students
For students preferring to learn for leisure, we have a versatile and familiarized approach to their goals. Our lecturers can establish their music goal with every student and work towards that. The lesson set up will specialize in musical genres or common items.
Our beginner students will learn the correct posture, bowing and holding techniques, as well as finger positioning being introduced. Additionally, developing sensible musical notation may be operated through however the bow is controlled and the accuracy of left fingers on the fingerboard. In addition, cello bow strokes (both on and off the violoncello strings), position shifting, double stops and phrasing.
A cello is needed before the beginning of lessons. We tend to make sure that every instrument is hand-crafted from the simplest maple spruce, has nice tonal quality and is properly originated to make sure acceptable weight, sensible balance, correct camber, all other elements influence the playability of the bow.
Why should you learn the cello?
The cello is an instrument that most closely imitates the human voice. When you can make music on the cello, it does sound like someone singing. If you love to make rich and warm tones, the cello can provide this for you.
If it is versatility you seek, the cello can go from the depths of the audible register and produce pleasant vibrations to high squeaky sounds that mimics the shrieking of a woman.
The best part of knowing how to play the cello is that it feels right at home in all sorts of musical genres, from classical to contemporary, to rock, pop, jazz and even electronic.
If you listen to the recordings of Yo-Yo Ma, you will understand what we mean.
Benefits of learning the cello:
- Research by psychologists at the University of Urban Center has found that learning to play an instrument will help facilitate brain development by increasing one’s intelligence quotient by as much as 7 points.
- Learning to play the string instrument (or any other musical instrument) not only boosts music and brain development, but it also teaches children to be less indulgent and more attentive. These are all traits that contribute to raised performance that makes children brighter. It also enhances your child’s development in various areas and improves sports and emotional interaction with others.
- The advantages of music lessons are not solely applicable to those who begin young. Adults will also improve brain development. Additional analyses from the team at Urban Center have also found that even those past the age of 5 who began enjoying musical instruments and allot an hour per week of lessons for four or five months exhibited strong positive changes within the brain.
Why should I learn cello from Music LifeStyle?
We believe that music should be part of our lifestyle. One should have fun while learning music. So we have only one criteria for all our teachers – they must be highly qualified, passionate and responsible in delivering lessons in engaging ways!
Decide your genre and the kind of music you want to play. It is up to you. Once you have decided, we will match you with the right music professional.
You can choose to learn in a group or have individual lessons. If you are not sure what is best for you, talk to us and we will help you find out!
Students are encouraged to join strings Music Ensemble Lessons for further enhancing their performing skills not only as a soloist but to also be able to play as an ensemble.